Studying in Germany
Following are important facts on the subject of studying in Germany:
- You cannot begin studying in Germany as long as you do not possess any health insurance coverage - you are obliged to show the university/college evidence of an existing helath insurance policy.
- If you would like to study at a German university/college of higher education, your German language skills will be tested beforehand, resp. you are obliged to show proof of your German skill.
- Students normally have to take the so-called "German language examination for the entrance of foreign university applicants" before matriculation at the university/college is possible.
- As long as you are taking part in a language course at a German university/college, it is basically not possible to obtain health insurance from a national health insurance company, e.g. AOK!
- During this period you should insure yourself against illness elsewhere. You can obtain offers from private insurance companies. In Germany there are a large number of private insurance companies.
- After finishing the preparation course resp. the test, you can study at a German university/college According to German law, matriculated students at a university/college must have statutory health insurance!
Please note: If you come from an EU/EWR country or Switzerland resp. a social security agreement exists with your native country (e.G. Turkey, Croatia, Serbia-Montenegro, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Tunisia) and you have health insurance coverage in your native country, please submit the assignment for coverage from your national health insurance company.